Sunday, April 10, 2011

The details

So this may be too much information for some, so read on only if you want to.

Background:
With Lexi I was induced and she was born 3 hours after they start the pitocin (spelling?)
I was also induced with Kaytlin, she was born after 4 hours
I was really hoping to go into labor on my own, especially since epidurals aren't an option here (not that I got one with the others) and getting induced makes for a more intense labor.

Earlier this week (since this is not a private blog I'm leaving out the date) I had woken up several times during the night to some painful contractions. This wasn't all that new, because I've had painful contractions for several days off and on. I thought I might have been leaking some fluid, not that my water had broken, but was concerned since my amniotic fluid levels have been pretty low. After calling the hospital they suggested I come in and get it tested.

Third visit to the hospital this pregnancy. I was scheduled to be induced in two more days and was secretly hoping they'd just get it over with. Test showed it wasn't fluid, but as I was there I was having regular contractions 4-8 minutes apart and I was dilated at a 3 and 50% effaced. They were debating whether or not to admit me or send me home. In the meantime they wanted me to take some time walking and sitting around the hospital and to get some lunch and then come back to do another stress test (monitoring baby's heartbeat and my contractions).

The contractions stopped being regular, I only had like 4 or 5 in the hour and half. I did see my Uncle John and a guy from church at lunchtime and hung out with them for a while. My midwife saw me in the cafeteria and thought I looked fine (not at all close to having a baby).

So back to get monitored. John was dying this whole time, wanting to come be with me but I wouldn't let him waste another day just sitting around the hospital. I was there about an hour and my midwife was going to come and make a decision - induce or go home. Then at 2:30pm my water broke! Perfect! Now I get to have the baby (and it happened at the hospital so I don't have to be embarrassed or clean it up!)! John was so happy and relieved and picked up my to go bag and raced on over.

My contractions were getting pretty bad by the time John got there (about 3:15 pm). The nurse asked if I wanted any drugs (again, epidurals not offered here) or wanted to get in the jacuzzi tub, or anything like that. I was pretty sure it was too late for anything to help. Sure enough I was ready to push not long after that. The nurse checked me (dilated at a 9 and totally effaced) and ran to call the midwife.

With Lexi the doctor wasn't at the hospital when I was ready to push and I didn't push for like 20 minutes. That was way worse than pushing. So I didn't care if the nurse was out of the room and the midwife wasn't there, I was pushing no matter what! Good thing they got there quick because I pushed a few times and then at 3:52pm Addison was born.

Thank goodness they didn't release me!
I tore a little, but have hardly been sore. Addison's umbilical cord was around her neck a few times so she was pretty purple at first, but was fine. They put her on my belly and she peed on me, but was really calm and content.

I ended up staying two nights at the hospital and really enjoyed the time to bond with Addison, rest and read. The nurses were so friendly and took great care of us. My in laws have helped out so much with Lexi and Kaytlin and of course John has been awesome.

I'm feeling really good and am just so grateful that everything went well, we're healthy and so grateful for all the help of family and friends.


3 comments:

Roskam Family said...

I am so happy for you that you didn't have to be induced, pitocin is no fun!!

Amy said...

So glad it went so well!

Joanna said...

Congratulations! Your first two labors sound like they were similar to my first two: pitocin, no epidural, and only a few hours long. I am also hoping not to need pitocin for baby #3. I'm glad things went so smoothly for you!