Monday, March 12, 2012

Going domestic

My main focus lately though seems to be on being more domestic. I've been so annoyed with the price of groceries that I've been making more stuff from scratch. Since November I've been making bread consistently. I make about 3 loaves a week, with plenty of "help" from Kaytlin. My mother-in-law is letting me borrow 2 mini bread pans so she gets to make her own loaf, which I guess that means we make 3+ loaves a week.
I use some of the bread to make croutons for salad.
I bought some silicone cupcake molds and have been using those to freeze homemade soups in individual portions.
A friend and I have been getting together and doing "homemaking Fridays." We've been making our own refried beans to make burritos (they are so good), homemade hotpockets - BBQ beef and pepperoni pizza- which we're still trying to perfect, from-scratch chicken pot pies, and most recently breakfast burritos.
The breakfast burritos aren't going to last very long, they are so good! But then again, how can you go wrong when you've got cheese and bacon involved right?
Next we're going to figure out homemade tortillas and some sort of dessert pastry. I'm so glad we have an extra freezer for all this glorious food!
If only I liked to exercise as much as I like good...
Anything you've done to safe money on groceries?
Side note - it seems more and more people up here are keeping chickens for eggs. Is that happening "down south" too? I don't think I can handle that myself.

7 comments:

Tom and Ann Perry Family said...

John McCormick made tortillas while he was here. I told him that I knew you would love to learn how to make them. I guess he and Cassie make bread and tortillas every week together.

Ashley said...

Wow! I'm impressed with your domestic skills! I think I'm finally going to have my good friend teach me how to bake bread. I price match here to save money. Wal Mart will match any sales price and I use the website deals to meals to find everything that is on sale. But I guess you don't have a Super Wal Mart so I don't know how well that would work.

Marisha & Forrest said...

I haven't been too much into saving money for groceries, we just try to limit our spending and try to get as much as we can for that price! Perhaps when I'm done with school or on a break I'll learn how to coupon.

Although when I do make a casserole or something with ground beef and it calls for a pound, I only use half of it so I can use that for another meal. Does that count? =) Krista [Gifford] Marchant bakes her own bread too. She saved her plastic bread bags and freezes her loaves.

Erika said...

This could be a little extreme (especially since I'm pretty sure your family isn't pseudo-lactoid like mine.) BUT when we made our own soymilk my dad would use the leftover bean stuff to make tortillas.
And if you're going to make tortillas, soy or not, I'd highly recommend a tortilla press. $20 on ebay, and it's the perfect job for kids!

Alisa said...

Ooh--I think I need to live in Ketchikan! Pre-preparing food sounds great!

We own a breadmaker, and it has been a lifesaver with bread costs (and time...as it is so effortless)!! You can get pretty cheap ones that are great!

Lynette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynette said...

Sorry last comment had bad grammar! What I wanted to say was!

John McCormick taught my hubby to make tortillas over the phone.