Friday, August 21, 2009

The Grizzly

We drove down to Dyea on Sunday to look for bears. The area is pretty flat and the rivers are shallow so it's a perfect combination to see them when the salmon are running. At first there was nothing, so we just watched the salmon (a ton of them) swimming upstream in the river. We thought it was too late and were about to leave when we heard the dogs going crazy. (We were just outside the camp where they keep the dogs for the dogsled tours.) A while later I spotted this yearling (not full-grown) grizzly coming out of the camp area and it just stopped and looked at us, then went to the river. We watched it splash around catching and eating the fish until it got to where we couldn't see it anymore. None of my pictures really turned out, but that's okay, I just wanted to see a grizzly before the summer was over. Check. Next on the list is tandem bike rental....
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Becca said...

That is so awesome you went looking for bears. I don't know if I could be so brave. Good luck renting that tandem bike!