Friday, June 17, 2011

Water tank and random stuff

So we live in the wettest inhabited place in the U.S.; we get 13 feet of rain a year. For people like us who live outside of city limits, we have these big water tanks (cisterns) that we use for our water supply. We have a 9500 gallon tank, and like everyone else, the water comes from the rain that falls on our roof. In the winter time it rains so much it overflows. When we have good weather (i.e. not rain) in the summer, we use up the water and it could run out. Right now our water level is pretty low and we may have to order a truckload of water for the first time, but I'm trying to avoid that - I'd rather conserve until it rains again than pay the $300.
Anyway, that's the background. When we went to check the water level recently we noticed the liner had come loose and was falling into the tank. A friend of ours was nice enough to help us out. He drove over a fork lift (his family owns it) and he, John and Mike (John's dad) figured out how to pull the liner up and secure it back in place. With the lid lifted up, I had my first look at the water inside, which I'm still not sure was a good or bad thing. I didn't post a picture of the water inside, but if there's anyone's curious I guess I could add later.
I think this is the first picture I'd shared of Lexi with her bangs. It's taken some getting used to, but I think I like them now. I think.
Curly hair Kaytlin
Uncle Russell getting ready to test out the kayaks (they float)
Hanging out with the baby after putting the older girls to bed (notice how light it is out)

2 comments:

Alisa said...

Happy Birthday, John! I didn't realize you guys used water tanks, there. I definitely want to know more (they have a 4 month super-rainy season here, so it seems to me more people should use them...)!!

Marisha & Forrest said...

Love the pictures!