You know you're living in Ketchikan, Alaska if...
- You look outside and it's still raining (we get 13 feet of rain in a year).
- To go bowling you either have to hop a plane to another island or play on Nintendo Wii.
- Going out shopping with the girls means meeting at someone's house, trying on sample sizes, and buying online.
- You show up to church ten minutes early in the summer time and you can't find a parking spot.
- Outdoor sports (football, soccer, baseball) are on gravel fields instead of grass or turf.
- You go any more than 20 miles on the highway and it dead ends.
- You drink hot chocolate at the 4th of July Parade.
- Half the town (in the winter) is at the high school basketball games on the weekend.
- The population of 11,000 is nowhere near downtown and 10,000 tourists are flooding downtown in the summer.
- You can tell the "locals" apart from everyone else by whether or not they're wearing rainboots - rain or shine.
- Your scout troop travels by float plane to another island to camp out, just because they can.
- You can count over 20 bald eagles perched in the same tree across the street from the fish cannery.
- You can't keep a fish (king salmon) if it's less than 28 inches long.
- It's not unusual to catch a fish (halibut) that weighs more than 100 lbs!
- People give away fresh and frozen halibut like it's zucchini from their garden.
- You can leave a bonfire burning on the beach and let the ocean take care of putting it out.
- You get breathless on beautiful hikes that are all over the island.
- You watch close enough you can see whales from your kitchen window.
- You can see cruish ships, bald eagles, and float planes whiz by daily as you wash dishes.
- Trees can grow up, down, and sideways.
5 comments:
Sounds like quite the place...I'm sure you have so many fun stories on a daily basis! Did you ever think you would live in Alaska? Do you guys think you'll be there for quite a while?
You should totally write a documentary on Ketchikan. That would be sweet! I have a friend in school who's taking a cruise up there on June 27th she'll be there about on the 30th or a day later or so. She's excited and I told her all about you guys. She might look for some Youngberg's in Del Sol when she's there. I am so jealous!!
Hi Kristin, it's Marissa, your cousin Scott's wife. We missed you in Montana. Congratulations on your new little one. Ketchikan sounds like a really interesting place to live. :)
Haha you did it! I LOVE this post! SO excited to see you guys again in less than 2 months. There will be lots of fun and laughter!
I must be living in Ketchikan because I can relate to all of those things. Very cute posting Kristin. I am enjoying your blog. John and I need to update ours. See you tomorrow at church.
Maren
Post a Comment