Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bean Brownies

I'm putting together a big Family Home Storage Fair next month and I can't find a recipe I need for it. We're going to have samples of food you can make with your food storage and one I've heard that's really good is bean brownies. I think pinto beans are common for food storage right? All the recipes I'm finding online use black beans, and half of them use coffee - not what I'm looking for. Anyone happen to have that recipe?

2 comments:

Alisa said...

Hmmm...I would use a black bean recipe, and just sub pinto beans, instead. I bet they use black beans just for the dark color. I wouldn't hesitate at all to use pinto instead. If you have time, you could try it out before the fair!

Heidi said...

We have a great food storage store down here that has food demonstrations and recipes every week by the owner using their goods. A lot of her food is great (there are a few clunkers every once in a while) and she really researches and tests before she presents recipes in her classes. The website is: http://www.foodwisestorage.com/ and there is a recipe page on the site.
Sometime during the last month my mom went to a dessert class and she made fantastic black bean brownies, and mom has tried a lot of different bean brownie recipes.
She said to only use black beans because the flavor is milder. I didn't find it on her website, so here it is:
Black Bean Brownies
1/2 C cocoa (use 2 T of Dark Chocolate Dutch Cocoa as substitute for 2 T cocoa
1/2 C butter or margarine
2 C white sugar (rounded)
1 C cooked black bean puree
4 eggs (4 T egg powder with 3/4 c water)
2/3 C all-purpose flour (if you want them gooey, use white unbleached, not wheat)
1/2 tsp baking powder
Optional: 1 C Ghirardelli milk choc chips and/or 1 c nuts
Directions: Mix coca, butter, sugar,black bean puree and eggs together in a bowl until well blended. Sift dry ingredients together and stir into wet mixture. Grease a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray and pour the batter into the pan. Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees or until done. Frost with your favorite chocolate frosting.

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Ingredients:
6 TB butter, softened
1/2 C Cocoa powder
2 2/3 C powdered sugar
3-6 T C milk to reach desired consistency (or use reconstituted sweet cream powder- tastes good!)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
For light choc frosting use 1/3 cup cocoa powder. For dark chocolate frosting use 3/4 cup cocoa powder. In mixer bowl cream the butter. Add the cocoa and powdered sugar alternately with milk. Beat to spreading consistency adding more milk if needed. Blend in vanilla.

Here's a bean fudge recipe with pinto beans:
Pinto Bean Fudge

2 cup warm cooked pinto beans
¾ cup melted butter or margarine
1 cup cocoa
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 pounds powdered sugar
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Mash or sieve beans. Add melted butter or margarine, cocoa and vanilla. Mix in powdered sugar gradually. Add nuts if desired. Press into a 9 x 13 inch oiled or non-stick pan. Or form into balls and roll in chocolate and powdered sugar combined. Can also roll in chopped nuts...experiment and have fun! Store in the refrigerator.

The beans page: http://www.foodwisestorage.com/page/beans

I would still try them before you serve them though. :) Good luck! Hope this got to you in time! Say hit to your hubby for me. Your girls are so beautiful!